Sunday, March 29, 2009

Carrot Cake!



One the best things about Easter coming up is carrot cake! I love it but have never made it until this weekend. I read some recipes online and then tweaked it to my own personal taste. I always try to cook/ bake lowfat so I always take out vegetable oil whenever I can and always use less sugar if I can. So here was what I came up with:

Cake
4 eggs
3/4 cup of canola oil
1/2 unsweetened applesauce
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 4oz of pineapple (no juice!) *add more if you like "chunkier" cake
3 cups largely grated carrots
1/2 cup of pecans *add more if you love nuts....also I bet walnuts would work nicely too
1/4 tsp of nutmeg

Icing
1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter softened
8 oz cream cheese (lowfat works fine) softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powder sugar

Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 min for two 9" round pans

1. Preheat your oven to 350 and grease and flour pans.
2. Beat together all your wet ingredients. Mix all your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to your wet mixture. Mix in carrots and then fold in pineapple and pecans. Pour into pans and your good to go! Let cool on wire rack before icing.
3. Frosting: Beat ingredients together until creamy and smooth. Add pecans or even coconut to decorate. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

Charlotte, North Carolina
I am a 25 year old newlywed just trying to figure out my crazy life!